7 Things to Do When Preparing to Move House
Moving into a new house can be exciting, and it can also be a trying time for you and your family, especially if you’re planning on using a self-storage facility. Sometimes, the task seems so large that it is easy to procrastinate and leave preparations until the last minute. But this is a dangerous attitude because there are plenty of things to do to make sure the move goes smoothly.
There is nothing worse than the stress of realizing that you only have a few weeks left to prepare for a big move. You minimize your options and may have to pay extra for a removalist, and on top of that, you have to spend many late nights packing boxes that you could have started weeks earlier.
So, if you want to avoid the trouble and stress of an unplanned move, there are seven things you can do to make moving day a lot easier.
- Get in touch with at least three removalists and obtain some competitive quotes. Make sure each section is identical in terms of what will be provided. Make sure you include enough packing boxes so you can comfortably pack all of your goods. Make sure the removalist gives you an estimate of how many and what type of boxes you will need.
- Double-check the street you are moving into, and make a note of any possible obstructions for the removal van. Look out for things like overhanging wires, tree branches that could get in the way, or any other issue that could cause trouble on a moving day. Discuss any problems with your removalist before moving day.
- Ask the real estate agent for a list of local organizations that you might be interested in joining. It’s good if you can prepare a long way in advance for this type of social activity because it allows you to allocate time to attend meetings, etc.
- Wherever possible, make sure you have a clean house to move into. Discuss this with the real estate agent and engage the services of a cleaning company if you have to. Moving into a fresh, clean house makes a big difference.
- Make sure you have adequate insurance coverage. Ring your insurance company and advise them of your move, and make sure you are covered for every contingency.
- When packing for the move, make sure you label each box appropriately so that the removalists can put it in the correct room at your new house. This will make unpacking a lot easier and will assist the removalists to get the job done quicker.
- If you have pets or young children, get your friends or family to help you by looking after them on the day of the move. It will be a lot easier for you to organize and supervise the removalists without the distraction of animals or the worry of young children.
Once you start to put this plan into action, you will discover how easy it is to organize a removal. You will avoid the need to use self-storage and save yourself a lot of money in the process.